Sausage and Peppers Strudel can be served as a main course or for appetizers! Cheesy, flakey pastry with a sausage and peppers filling!
We love appetizer recipes that can also be served for dinner, or maybe they are just so good that they turn into a meal because you can’t stop eating them! Also check out our Everything Pigs in a Blanket and this super popular Garlic Butter Shrimp!
A Savory Strudel Recipe For Appetizers or the Main Meal!You can also call this Sausage and Peppers Strudel a Sausage Roll…whatever you want to call it though, we just know you’re going to go crazy over it. Super cheesy filling with sausage and peppers in a flakey, crispy puff pastry crust. I mean, what’s no to like here.
We do serve this sausage strudel sliced for appetizers and also for dinner instead of ordering a pizza. It’s really an easy recipe, to make. A simple sausage and peppers filling rolled up in puff pastry and baked.
How Do You Make This Sausage and Peppers Strudel?
Please do look at the picture below instead of just printing out the recipe. What we did for this recipe was combine two sheets of puff pastry together to make one large rectangle.
Alternately, you could make two smaller rectangles and divide the filling in half, totally up to you. But we like making one giant sausage roll like we did here because the more inside, sausage stuffed slices, the better.
- Make The Filling: The filling is Italian sausage, spicy or mild or a combination of both, cooked down with peppers, onions and garlic. Once that’s done you stir in 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Stuff The Sausage Strudel: Combine the 2 sheets of puff pastry like you see here and form the filling into a log shape down the center. Fold the two long sides over the middle, sealing with egg wash, and then fold over the shorter sides to seal up the sausage roll.
- Bake The Sausage Roll: Place the sausage roll on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down and brush with the remaining egg wash, then season with fresh black pepper and kosher salt. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
When this beautiful sausage and peppers strudel comes out of the oven, you’re going to need to let it cool for about 10 minutes before slicing it. This will allow the sausage and cheese filling to set so that when you cut into the strudel it doesn’t ooze out.
What Can I Swap Out In The Filling For This Strudel Recipe?
There are so many different types of filling that you can make! We use this base recipe for so many different savory strudel recipes.
- Ground beef instead of sausage
- Shredded Chicken
- All vegetables, no meat!
- More vegetables you can add are chopped spinach, broccoli, peas, mushrooms or corn
- Different cheeses like provolone, gouda, gruyere, cheddar or Monterey Jack
Serve this sausage strudel with marinara sauce for dipping if you like, we like this recipe as is but sauce is definitely an option!
Can I Make This Sausage Roll Ahead Of Time?
Definitely! There’s a couple of ways you can save some time here. Make the filling and refrigerate until you’re ready to fill the puff pastry and bake. Or you can bake the sausage roll and keep it covered in a warm oven, about 250 degrees until you’re ready to serve.
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes?
- BBQ Party Meatballs
- Everything Pigs in a Blanket
- Salmon Salad Recipe
- Dry Rub BBQ Chicken Wings
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Sausage and Peppers Strudel
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
This Sausage & Peppers Strudel can be served for appetizers or the main course! Make this savory strudel for holiday appetizers or instead of ordering pizza!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound Italian sausage, spicy or sweet, (or a combination of both), casings removed
- 1 cup bell peppers (red and green), chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage, breaking up into small pieces for 5-7 minutes. add the peppers and onions and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine with the filling. Season the filling with salt and pepper to taste and then stir in the mozzarella cheese. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool.
- Place both sheets of puff pastry on a board, lightly dusted with flour. You are going to combine both sheets of the puff pastry together to make one large sheet of puff pastry, as shown in the photo in the post. To do this, brush one of the shorter edges with egg wash and then overlap the puff pastry and pinch the seam together with your fingers.
- Add the filling in a long “log” shape (also shown in the photo in the post) and then fold the long side of the puff pastry over the filling. Brush the edge of the puff pastry with egg wash and then fold the other side over, pinching the seam to seal. Do the same with the shorter edges, using egg wash to seal the seams together.
- Place the sausage strudel, seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut 3-4 slits in the top for venting, and then brush the strudel with the remaining egg wash. Season the top of the strudel with fresh black pepper and kosher salt.
- Bake for 35 minutes, covering with foil if the crust is getting too brown. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and serve with marinara sauce if desired.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage and peppers, strudel recipe, sausage roll, appetizer recipes, thanksgiving appetizers, christmas appetizers, game day food