If you like Key Lime pie – and you like rum – you’re going to love these RumChata Key Lime Cupcakes!
We actually made these cupcakes for our Rum Tasting party a couple weeks back, because I needed to get more rum into my friends.
I kove key lime pie, cake anything key lime (drinks…) so I sat down with Christie to try and come up with a dessert idea for the party. I knew what I wanted to make. Key lime flavored, rum infused cupcakes. Of some sort.
We started looking up recipes to get ideas from but only found a few. The one recipe we finally found that looked like something that we could adapt from used something called self-rising flour. Even the wife wasn’t sure what the heck that was so she called a friend who she knew would have the answer.
And of course, she did. Apparently this flour already has baking soda and leavening agents mixed in. But we didn’t have that flour. Rum Tasting party was in 5 hours.
But thanks to the tips we got we made these cupcakes and got them finished in time for the party.
The frosting is a simple cream cheese frosting that I added a few tablespoons of Rumchata too. I kept tasting the frosting and saying – it’s good, but let’s add more.
OK, now it’s better, but let’s add some more.
We ended up with almost 1/4 c. of RumChata in the frosting – and man, was it good.
These cupcakes are sweet and dense almost like a poundcake. A poundcake infused with lots of rum.
I loved them and will definitely be making them again – soon. Not too bad for one of our few baking attempts if I do say so myself!
So grab yourself a bottle of RumChata, have a drink, and then make some cupcakes!
A sweet, dense cupcake filled with the flavors of lime and rum with a special cream cheese frosting that can’t be beat!
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 T. lime juice
- 1 T. lime zest (plus 1 T. extra for garnish)
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 T. lime zest
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 3 T. RumChata
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it’s light in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Next add in the lime juice and lime zest and mix to combine.
- Add about 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture and beat to combine.
- Next add in 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix.
- Repeat with the rest of the four mixture, mix to combine and then the last of the buttermilk.
- Beat for 1 minute until well combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes then remove rom the oven to cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking you can get your frosting together.
- Mix the cream cheese together with the butter in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in the powdered sugar. lime zest, vanilla and the RumChata.
- Mix to combine.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with fresh lime zest.