Make this Bourbon Cherry Pie for dessert at your next party or BBQ! Fresh cherries with a splash of bourbon make the most delicious pie filling!
We love fun dessert recipes like this pie! Also try our BANANA BOURBON POKE CAKE our favorite COCONUT RUM COOKIES and our EASY APPLE CRISP recipe!
Fresh Cherry Pie Filling Versus Canned
So there’s a lot of times when I’m going to say that it’s totally fine to take a short cut when making a recipe. And that’s true, because I’m using a store bought pie crust for this Bourbon Cherry Pie recipe.
But please don’t ever buy cherry pie filling, unless you’re making these FIREBALL WHISKEY CHEESECAKE SHOTS, then it’s completely appropriate.
The fresh cherries in this pie filling are splashed with a touch of bourbon, that really helps bring out the flavor and sweetness in the fresh cherries. I wouldn’t steer you wrong here guys, fresh cherries – splash of bourbon = amazing cherry pie.
What Other Kinds Of Alcohol Can I Use In This Pie Filling?
Say you’re really not a bourbon fan. Still try it in this pie recipe, you’re going to be surprised, I guarantee it. Bourbon with the addition of sugar helps to break the fresh cherries down (a process called macerating) and helps release the juices from the fruit.
You can do this same process in a bowl with fresh berries and sugar, stir and let sit in the refrigerator or at room temperature then spoon over ice cream. So, so good. That’s what summer is all about right there.
Other kinds of alcohol you can use are rum, tequila, vodka, brandy or wine. Or if you’re really opposed to the alcohol then you can skip it and add fruit juice or water instead.
But I’m assuming that since you’re reading this Bourbon Cherry Pie recipe that you’re on team bourbon just like me.
Once you get the filling made, grab that pie crust and pour it in. Spread the filling out into and even layer and then add the second crust on top. You don’t have to cut out shapes for the top crust like I did here, it just makes the pie a little more decorative if you’re bringing it to a party or BBQ.
Now brush heavy cream on the top of the crust and add a good coating of sugar. We like our pies nice and sweet around here so don’t be shy.
Can I Make This Pie Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! Pie recipes are the perfect make ahead dessert. You can bake them the morning of your party or family dinner and let it cool on the counter all day…making your whole house smell unbelievable.
Then when it’s time to serve just slice and eat. Top this cherry pie with fresh whipped cream or ice cream and it’s even better!
Need More Dessert Ideas?
- EASY BACON BRITTLE
- NO BAKE BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE DIP
- SUGARED PROSECCO GRAPES
- INDIVIDUAL PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKES
Bourbon Cherry Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
This boozy, fresh cherry pie will be a hit for dessert any night!
- 6–7 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (can substitute fruit juice if you don’t want the alcohol)
- 1 store bought pie crust (2 rounds)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- extra sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot add the cherries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour.
- Stir and the mixture and bring back to a boil to thicken, then remove from the heat.
- After removing the pot from the heat, pour in the bourbon and stir to combine.
- Let the cherry filling cool slightly.
- Press one round of pie dough into a pie dish and then pour in the cherry filling, evening out the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, on a separate baking sheet cut star shapes (or any shape you want) out of the top round of dough and bake for 10 minutes. *See note if using a whole pie crust on top)
- When the pie comes out of the oven, add the star shapes to the top of the pie.
- Brush with cream then sprinkle the stars with sugar.
You can use the whole pie crust on top instead of cutting out shapes. When making the pie this way, add the top crust to the pie before baking and crimp together with the bottom crust.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry pie recipe, pie recipe, cherry recipes, easy desserts, desert recipes, fruit pies