These Coconut Rum Cookies are my birthday cookie recipe this year! A coconut thumbprint cookie topped with a chocolate kiss, it’s the best cookie ever!
An Easy Cookie Recipe That Anyone Can Make!
We’re not big bakers around my house so we like to keep our desserts more on the simpler side. We also like to spike our desserts with a shot of booze once in a while. Or actually, most of the while.
But with almost all of our dessert recipes, you can leave the alcohol out if you really, really want to. I promise not to be offended.
Also when we’re looking for easy cookie or dessert recipes, we want them to still be pretty show stopping. Just like these cookies. This cookie recipe is soft and chewy in the middle and slightly crispy on the outside from the toasted coconut.
Topped off with a chocolate kiss that gets a little melty if you add it just at the right time.
You can use any kind of chocolate candy you have, white chocolate, peanut butter chocolate or even a broken pieces of your favorite candy bar.
How Do You Make These Rum Cookies?
The cookie dough comes together really quickly, then use a cookie scooper to get all the balls of dough roughly the same size.
Dip the balls of cookie dough into a spiked egg wash, then roll around in shredded coconut.
After they bake you’ll want to get the chocolate on top pretty quickly so it melts slightly and sticks to the cookie.
This is a great job for the kids if you are making this cookie recipe in bulk…yes the kids can eat these cookies too. The amount of rum in this recipe is so little, divided up by dozens of cookies its basically equivalent to an extract.
That’s not a nutritional fact, just my opinion.
Can You Make These Cookies Without The Rum?
BUT like I said before, usually the alcohol in a dessert recipe is just for a little added flavor. It doesn’t play a big role in the cookie making. Do try and roll these little cookies dough balls in a splash of coconut rum, you’ll be glad you did!
If you really don’t want to use alcohol at all just leave it out, you’ll still end up with a perfectly delicious cookie!
You can also use other alcohol in this cookie recipe if you don’t care for rum, some other ideas are:
- Flavored Vodka
- Grand Marnier
- Tequila Blanco
Looking For More Cookie Recipes?
- CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP CARROT CAKE COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH SANDWICHES
- BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- CHERRY CANNOLI SANDWICH COOKIES
These delicious coconut rum cookies are going to be a hit for any occasion!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Rum
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (7 oz.) bag sweetened coconut
- 1 (12 oz.) bag chocolate kisses (dark or milk) unwrapped
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer until combined.
- Add sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the rum then beat together for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
- Turn the mixer on low, then start adding the flour to the butter and sugar a little at a time until all the flour is incorporated.
- Form the cookie dough into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make an egg wash by beating the egg with the remaining 2 tablespoons of rum.
- Scoop the dough into balls using a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop, dip into the egg wash and roll in the coconut.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned on the edges.
- While the cookies are still warm, press one chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
You can store these cookies in a container for 3-4 days after baking.
Keywords: cookie recipe, coconut cookies, easy cookie recipe, thumbprint cookies, rum cookies, dessert recipe