These Coconut Rum Cookies are my birthday cookie recipe this year! A coconut thumbprint cookie topped with a chocolate kiss, it’s the best cookie ever!
Easy Cookie Recipes
We’re not big bakers around my house so we like to keep our desserts more on the simpler side. We also like to spike our desserts with a shot of booze once in a while. Or actually, most of the while.
But with almost all of our DESSERT RECIPES yo can leave the alcohol out if you really, really want to. I promise not to be offended.
Also when we’re looking for easy cookie recipes or easy dessert recipes we want them to still be pretty amazing, like these coconut rum cookies. So soft and chewy in the middle and just a little crispy on the outside from the toasted coconut. All topped off with a chocolate kiss.
Totally experiment with the chocolate kiss on top too! You can use any kind of chocolate you have, white chocolate, peanut butter chocolate or even a broken pieces of your favorite candy bar. Because this is an easy cookie recipe…so you’ve got options here.
Here’s what they’re going to look like when you get them on the baking sheet. Rum soaked, coconut covered balls of cookies dough….
After they bake you want to get the chocolate on top pretty quickly so it melts slightly and sticks to the cookie. Then once these cookies cool you won’t have to worry about someone going around and picking the chocolate off the top.
Because that is a thing when you have kids. Suddenly chocolate just disappears.
Can You Make These Cookies Without The Rum?
Definitely, like I said before, usually the alcohol in a dessert recipe is just for a little added flavor. It doesn’t play a big role in the cookie making role. But do try and roll these little cookies dough balls in a splash of coconut rum, you’ll be glad you did!
You can also use other alcohol in this cookie recipe if you don’t care for rum, some other ideas are:
• Flavored Vodka
• Grand Marnier
• Tequila Blanco
And if coconut isn’t your thing? Then move on…these are coconut rum cookies guys.
You can roll these cookies in sprinkles, chopped nuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon and sugar or even just leave them plain! But my favorite combination for these thumbprint cookies is just like I have them right here.
With lots of rum and coconut.
Looking For More Cookie Recipes?
These delicious coconut rum cookies are going to be a hit for any occasion!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Rum
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (7 oz.) bag sweetened coconut
- 1 (12 oz.) bag chocolate kisses (dark or milk) unwrapped
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer until combined.
- Add sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the rum then beat together for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
- Turn the mixer on low, then start adding the flour to the butter and sugar a little at a time until all the flour is incorporated.
- Form the cookie dough into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make an egg wash by beating the egg with the remaining 2 tablespoons of rum.
- Scoop the dough into balls using a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop, dip into the egg wash and roll in the coconut.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned on the edges.
- While the cookies are still warm, press one chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
You can store these cookies in a container for 3-4 days after baking.
Keywords: cookie recipe, coconut cookies, easy cookie recipe, thumbprint cookies, rum cookies, dessert recipe