A sweet, dense cupcake filled with the flavors of lime and rum with a special cream cheese frosting that can’t be beat!
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 T. lime juice
- 1 T. lime zest (plus 1 T. extra for garnish)
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 T. lime zest
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 3 T. RumChata
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it’s light in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Next add in the lime juice and lime zest and mix to combine.
- Add about 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture and beat to combine.
- Next add in 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix.
- Repeat with the rest of the four mixture, mix to combine and then the last of the buttermilk.
- Beat for 1 minute until well combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes then remove rom the oven to cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking you can get your frosting together.
- Mix the cream cheese together with the butter in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in the powdered sugar. lime zest, vanilla and the RumChata.
- Mix to combine.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with fresh lime zest.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcake recipe, key lime, rumchata dessert, party dessert, dessert recipe