Get your grill ready for these easy and crazy good Pesto Shrimp Kabobs! Just a few minutes on the grill and you’ll have a shrimp dinner worth serving to company!
Grilled shrimp is an easy and quick dinner to get together especially if you’re throwing it on the grill.
The trick is to get some flavor in there by marinating the shrimp or adding a tasty sauce. For this recipe, I did both. A quick marinade and a tasty sauce to go on top. All done in no time at all.
The shrimp are only going to marinade for about 30 minutes in the fridge – don’t let them goo too long or the lemon juice will start to cook the shrimp and that’s not so tasty…
So just a quick marinade in lemon juice, olive oil and fennel seeds and then onto making the pesto.
I know I keep saying easy…but it seriously is – easy. You can have this dinner done and on the table in no time. Serve it with potatoes or over rice or just with a salad for you no-carbers.
I grabbed fresh basil, garlic, salt and pepper and lemon juice and threw it into my blender to get this pesto started.
Slowly drizzle in the olive oil (with the blender running) until it makes a smooth sauce.
Get you grill fired up and start putting the marinated shrimp onto skewers with a thin lemon slice in between each one. This shrimp is really just going to need a few minutes on each side until they’re perfectly grilled.
While the shrimp are still hot, drizzle the basil pesto on top of the shrimp and serve.
So do you ever get that olive oil/garlic/salt and pepper combo at a restaurant to dip your bread into? Let me tell you, this basil pesto is way better…so serve this shrimp up with a big loaf of bread and extra pesto for dipping!
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
For the marinade
- 1 1/2 t. fennel seed
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
For the Basil Pesto
- 1 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Place the ingredients for the marinade in a glass dish or resealable plastic bag.
- Toss to combine and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to a medium high heat, between 400º and 425º
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and place on skewers alternating with a lemon slice.
- Spray the grill with cooking spray or olive oil and grill the shrimp for 3 minutes on each side until the shrimp is firm and just pink.
- Remove from the grill and keep warm with foil until the sauce is ready.
- Add all the ingredients for the basil pesto to a blender (except the olive oil) and blend until smooth.
- While the blender is running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the sauce comes together.
- Serve the shrimp warm with the basil pesto drizzled over the top.
- Serve the extra pesto on the side for dipping.
Adapted from: Giada DeLaurentiis Grilled Chicken with Basil Dressing