This Easy Turkey Taco Meatloaf Recipe is going to be a dinner time WIN! This meatloaf recipe is one of our family favorites, our kids ask for it all the time. It’s a fun combination of two dinnertime classics, tacos and meatloaf!
How To Make Moist Turkey Meatloaf – What’s the Trick?
Because let’s be honest, no one wants a super dry, flavorless turkey meatloaf.
Even if you’re eating it because it’s a healthy recipe or a low carb recipe…we still want our meatloaf to be juicy and delicious. And here’s how to do it.
Some recipes for chicken meatloaf or turkey meatloaf will include mayonnaise to keep the meatloaf moist. We’ve done just that for our chicken cordon bleu meatloaf recipe – and it works.
Really lean poultry like chicken and turkey tends to dry out when it cooks. That’s why a chicken thigh is more flavorful and juicy then say a chicken breast.
Them’s just the facts.
But for this turkey meatloaf we’re adding some ingredients like diced tomatoes, shredded cheese and eggs to keep this meatloaf juicy. And to make this meatloaf recipe a taco flavored meatloaf, we’re going to be adding in some taco seasoning too!
Is The Best Meatloaf Made In A Loaf Pan Or On A Baking Sheet?
I really prefer making meatloaf free form on a baking sheet. That way any excess grease can drain away form the meat and onto the sheet pan.
And the edges get crispier – AND the glaze caramelizes more. So those are my answers. There are reasons that you might want to put your meatloaf into a loaf pan though.
Say, for instance you’re making our Chicken Cordon Bleu Meatloaf that has layers, the loaf pan helps to mold the meatloaf and keep it together, so a good use for the loaf pan.
But this Turkey Taco Meatloaf can be shaped and placed right on a baking sheet.
Bake it and watch them come running.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf?
Absolutely! We love freezing meatloaf for an easy dinner night. You can either freeze your meatloaf in slices or freeze the whole meatloaf.
Slices are great for a quick individual dinner and it heats up really nicely in the microwave. If you freeze the whole meatloaf, it’s best to let it defrost in the refrigerator and then warm up in the oven.
Not only can you freeze meatloaf, but it can totally be made ahead of time too. Like over the weekend when you have some time maybe, then reheat during the week.
Maybe even eat a slice cold on a roll with some guacamole and salsa…have a Turkey Taco Meatloaf Sandwich…I can’t wait for the leftovers!
What Side Dishes Can I Serve With Meatloaf?
- PERFECTLY SMOOTH MASHED POTATOES
- SPICY MUSHROOM RICE
- SHOESTRING FRENCH FRIES
- SHEET PAN LOADED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- THE BEST GARLIC BREAD
This Easy Turkey Taco Meatloaf Recipe is going to be a dinner time WIN! It’s a fun combination of two dinnertime classics, tacos and meatloaf!
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, 93% lean
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mild taco sauce, plus more for serving
- Crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the turkey, cheese, bread crumbs, tomatoes, onion, salt cumin, taco seasoning and eggs to a large bowl and mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the meatloaf onto the prepared baking sheet and form into a long, rectangular shape. You want it to be about 2″ high, by 9″ long and 5″ wide. Just approximately so the meatloaf cooks properly.
- Brush with half of the taco sauce and bake for 45 minutes..
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, baste with the rest of the taco sauce and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Slice and serve.
You can use spicy taco sauce too if you like the heat!
Keywords: turkey meatloaf, meatloaf recipe, taco meatloaf, mexican meatloaf, best meatloaf recipe, easy meatloaf recipe, how to make meatloaf, homemade meatloaf