Try these Hot Dog Wontons for a fun party twist on regular hot dogs on a bun! These fun, crispy fried appetizers are going to be a huge hit!
I’ve been trying to use hot dogs as an ingredient this week, instead of just eating it on a bun. I’ve was getting some criticism from the wife on this one and all I can say is that I won. These Hot Dog Wontons are awesome – they even came out better than I thought they would. And the wife? She loved them.
Everyone has had pigs in a blanket, or the BBQ hot dogs cooked up in a crock pot. Both delicious, but this appetizer is something you could put out even for your nicest cocktail party. No one will ever guess that the main ingredient is a hot dog. We had quite a few people sample them and no one guessed the secret ingredient…everyone said they tasted like bacon.
The filling for these wontons are basically chopped up hot dogs, caramelized onions and gouda cheese. Even tough the onions take a while to caramelize, these wontons come together pretty quickly.
All you need to do is line up your wonton wrappers and put a pile of the filling in the center. Then just wet the edges and fold in half to make a triangle. Make sure that you press the edges to seal really good so that they don’t open up when you fry them.
You could totally use different flavored hot dogs in this too. Like the kind with cheese already in it, or the turkey ones – or even the bacon hot dogs!
Now why didn’t I think of that sooner?
Well like I said, the bacon flavor is already in these Hot Dog Wontons so they taste awesome just the way they are!
I can guarantee these will be coming out for the next gathering at my house. A total recipe success – and yep just to say it again, I won.
These fun fried wontons use hot dogs and caramelized onions in the filling!
- 3 hot dogs, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. sugar
- 3/4 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Start by caramelizing the onions. Add the butter and oil to a large skillet over low heat and add the sliced onions.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are dark brown and sweet.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Chop the hot dogs into a small dice and add to a medium bowl.
- Add the grated cheese and the cooled onions and stir to combine.
- Line up a few wonton wrappers and place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center.
- Wet the edges of the wonton wrapper with water and fold over into a triangle, sealing the edges with your fingers.
- Repeat with about 30 wonton wrappers until the filling is gone.
- Heat your oil to 375 degrees.
- Add a few wontons at a time to the hot oil and fry for 1 1/2 minutes until golden brown, turning them over halfway through cooking.
- Set on a paper towel lined plate to drain and repeat with remaining wontons.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fried wontonts, appetizer recipes, appetizers, hot dogs, caramelized onions