These fun fried wontons use hot dogs and caramelized onions in the filling!
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1/4 t. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3 hot dogs, chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 3/4 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 package wonton wrappers (12 ounces)
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Start by caramelizing the onions. Add the butter and oil to a large skillet over low heat and add the sliced onions. Season the onions with the sugar and salt, stirring to combine.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are dark brown and sweet.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Chop the hot dogs into a small dice and add to a medium bowl.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and the cooled onions to the hot dogs and stir to combine.
- Line up a few wonton wrappers and place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center.
- Wet the edges of the wonton wrapper with water and fold over into a triangle, sealing the edges with your fingers.
- Repeat with about 30 wonton wrappers until the filling is gone.
- Heat your oil to 375 degrees.
- Add a few wontons at a time to the hot oil and fry for 1 1/2 minutes until golden brown, turning them over halfway through cooking.
- Set on a paper towel lined plate to drain and repeat with remaining wontons.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fried wontonts, appetizer recipes, appetizers, hot dogs, caramelized onions