Make these Meatballs In Cheese Crisps for your next party! This unique low carb appetizer will have everyone asking you for the recipe. Juicy, tender meatballs nestled in homemade cheese crisps topped with sauce and (yep!) more cheese!
Meatballs In Cheese Crisps
I’m talking about the perfect, bite-sized appetizer here. A two bite snack that combines a perfectly seasoned meatball with a tangy, havarti cheese cup.
You could serve a tray of these Meatballs In Cheese Crisps to your friends for a game day party or set them out for a more upscale dinner or holiday party. Either way your guests are going to go crazy for these.
Castello Herb & Spice Havarti cheese was the perfect choice for these cheese crisp cups. This brand of havarti cheese is already seasoned with herbs and spices so it was ready to go as is. Just grate the cheese, place in piles on parchment paper and bake.
Nestle in a homemade meatball, top with sauce and parmesan cheese. Appetizers don’t get much better than this!
How To Make Cheese Crisp Cups
Shred the cheese and place into piles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure to space them out because the cheese will spread as it melts.
Bake the cheese for 6 minutes at 400 degrees. 6 minutes is pretty much the exact cooking time, no more, no less. It might not seem done, but it will be.
Let the cheese cool for 1 minute after removing form the oven. Then quickly place the cheese on an upside down muffin pan and form the cups with your fingers.
They can sit at room temperature to cool completely while you make the meatballs and warm the sauce.
Can I Use Store Bought Meatballs?
To save some time, especially since you’re going through the trouble of making the cheese crisp cups, you can grab store bought or frozen meatballs. Find your favorite brand and heat them up so that they’re ready to go when the cheese crisps are finished.
While I haven’t found a brand of store bought meatballs that I love, paired with these flavorful cheese crisps you really can’t go wrong.
Variations For This Recipe
There are SO many ways that you can switch up the flavors for this low carb appetizer recipe. The first is to use different cheese. The only thing that you do have to keep in mind is that you need to use a slightly firm cheese.
Mozzarella or a softer cheese like that isn’t going to firm up to make these cups, so you’ll want to stay away from that.
Cheddar, Swiss, gruyere, Colby jack or parmesan cheese are all good choices. Of course from there, you can buy all different kinds of flavors of those cheeses as well.
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes?
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Spanish Tomato Bread
- Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
- Caprese Pizza Pinwheels
- Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Make these Meatballs In Cheese Crisps for your next game day or holiday party! This unique, delicious appetizer will have everyone asking you for the recipe. High protein, low carb and crazy tasty.
- 8 ounces shredded Castello® Havarti Herb & Spice cheese
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (a combination of beef, pork and veal, but can use all ground beef as well)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the shredded havarti on the baking sheet, spacing out into 6 piles. The cheese will spread as it melts so you do need to space them out.
- Bake for 6 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for one minute. Quickly, using a spatula, lift up a cheese crisp and place it in on an upside down muffin tin. Using your fingers, slightly press the cheese around the muffin tin to form a cup. Let the cheese cups cool for 5 minutes then repeat with the next batch.
- Once the cheese cups are done and cooling, make the meatballs. Add the meatloaf mix, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parmesan cheese and eggs to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Make golf ball sized balls and place them on another parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through in the center. Place the meatballs into a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Warm the marinara sauce in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Assemble the cups by placing one meatball in each cheese cup and then top with a spoonful of the marinara sauce. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired.
This recipe makes approximately makes approximately 24 appetizers, which we’re counting as 3 per person to serve 8.
Store: Store leftover meatballs in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store leftover cheese crisps (unassembled) in a resealable bag for up to 3 days.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American / Italian
Keywords: mantitlement, low carb appetizers, low carb recipes, meatball appetizers, game day food, holiday recipes