These Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Cakes are a mouth-watering vegetable side dish! These zucchini cakes combine fresh zucchini with crispy, salty bacon and gooey cheddar cheese. Delicious and hearty enough to be served on their own with a salad on the side, but also the perfect side dish to most any main course.
Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Cakes Recipe
So, zucchini is a pretty bland vegetable, in my opinion. It’s one of those vegetables that you have to flavor up quite a bit to make an impression.
These Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Cakes are literally bursting with flavor. You’ve got the salty bacon with sweet, fresh zucchini, held together with shard cheddar cheese.
So versatile, these zucchini cakes can be served as a side dish, an appetizer or the main course. Form them into smaller, two-bite cakes for appetizers and serve with a dollop of garlic aioli or this creamy, mildly spicy Bang Bang Sauce.
How Do You Make Zucchini Cakes?
Not only are these zucchini cakes super tasty, but they are really easy to make. Just follow these simple instructions and you’ll be on your way!
Start by grating the zucchini and squeezing out all the excess moisture with a clean kitchen towel. If you have thick paper towels, that will work, too.
- Add the zucchini to a large bowl along with the eggs, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon bits. Mix to combine.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Form the zucchini mixture into 8 cakes and place them into the skillet.
- They only need a few minutes on each side to get crispy, then you can flip them over to crisp up the other side. The second side cooks quicker so just a couple of minutes is all you need before sliding them out of the skillet.
- The zucchini mixture is wet and loose so don’t go crazy trying to form perfect round patties. You can add the cake to the pan and then press down and form it with a spatula until it starts to set and crisp up.
- Once you flip it over to the second side it will become easier to work with.
- When the zucchini cakes are ready, transfer them to a paper towel lined plate and season them with salt. You can keep the zucchini cakes warm in a low over until you’re ready to serve.
We think these Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Cakes are perfect as is, but if you’re looking to switch things up here’s a few ideas!
- Use Mozzarella, Gouda, Gruyere or Monterey Jack Cheese instead of Cheddar
- Swap out the bacon with diced ham, or leave out for a vegetarian option
- Add other vegetables like chopped spinach or shredded carrots – use your imagination!
Tips For Success!
Grating the zucchini and squeezing out all the moisture that you can is key to making this zucchini cake recipe. Use a clean kitchen towel or thick paper towels to really squeeze the zucchini dry before you start adding the other ingredients.
This recipe make a thicker zucchini cake, almost like a crab cake consistency. Just form the cakes and get them into a skillet with a little oil, don’t try and form them too much with your hands.
Don’t peel the zucchini! There’s no need to peel zucchini before using in this recipe, or really any recipe. The skin of a zucchini is very soft and it will blend into any recipe very well. When we make our Turkey Zucchini Meatballs, you can’t even tell that the zucchini is in there!
How To Store And Reheat
Store leftover zucchini cakes in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you see any excess moisture occur, just blot the cakes with paper towels before reheating.
The best way to reheat these cakes is to put them in the oven, directly on a sheet pan. Another way to reheat this recipe is to use an air fryer. Both the oven and air fryer will result in the crispiest texture. Of course the microwave will work, but they won’t be as crispy.
Looking For More Zucchini Recipes?
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Zucchini Pasta Sauce
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Asian Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles)
These Cheesy Bacon Zucchini Cakes combine mouth-watering flavors of gooey cheese, crispy bacon, and fresh zucchini. A delicious light lunch or dinner on their own, or a wonderful side dish to most any meal!
- 2 cups grated zucchini, squeezed dry of moisture
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits or cooked chopped bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh grated black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, canola oil or vegetable oil
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Make sure to squeeze the grated zucchini with a clean kitchen towel or thick paper towels until the zucchini is completely dry. Add to a large bowl along with the eggs, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon bites, salt and pepper.
- Mix together well and then form into 8 cakes. The mixture will be wet, so sometimes it’s easier to form the patty as best as you can and then drop right into the skillet.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini cakes (cooking in batches) to the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and then carefully flip to the other side, cooking another 3-4 minutes until brown.
- Remove the zucchini cakes to a paper towel lined plate and season with more kosher salt and grated parmesan cheese (optional).
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, zucchini recipes, zucchini cakes, vegetable side dish, recipes with zucchini