These Bacon Cheddar Zucchini Cakes are a mouth-watering vegetable side dish! Or try serving these zucchini cakes with a salad for a light meal!
Vegetable recipes cooked with bacon like these zucchini cakes always steal the show! Also be sure and check out our creamy Roasted Radishes recipe or these Sheet Pan Brussels Sprouts!
The Most Delicious Zucchini Recipe!
So, zucchini is a pretty bland vegetable, in my opinion. It’s one of those vegetables that you have to flavor up quite a bit to make an impression.
Well we did just that with these Bacon Cheddar Zucchini Cakes. We flavored them up so good that you can serve them as a side dish to dinner – OR for dinner.
They are that good.
Talk about an awesome way to get the kids eating their veggies, too. This zucchini recipe is going to go in that recipe book you keep of all your favorites, I guarantee. Kids, adults, picky eaters, everyone with a taste bud is going to love these cheesy zucchini cakes!
How Do You Make Zucchini Cakes?
Not only are these zucchini cakes crazy tasty, but they are so easy to make so you’re going to need to get yourself a lot of zucchini because these will be on the weekly menu!
Grating the zucchini and squeezing out all the moisture that you can is key to making this zucchini recipe. Use a clean kitchen towel or a thick paper towel to really squeeze the zucchini dry before you start adding the other ingredients.
This recipe make a thicker zucchini cake, almost like a crab cake consistency. Just form the cakes and get them into a skillet with a little oil…
They only need a few minutes on each side to get super crispy, then flip them over to crisp up the other side. The second side cooks quicker so just a couple of minutes is all you need before sliding them out of the skillet.
You can see all the bacon bits and cheddar cheese in here…just waiting to be cut open and devoured. Of course wee ate these right as they were done, but our kids didn’t get to them until they were cooled off.
Well, cold, really.
So they picked them up like finger food and ran off. Sort of how eating always seems to go in our house. But the point is that they were just as good cold because the flavor is on point.
What Ingredients Can I Swap Out In this Recipe?
We think these Bacon Cheddar Zucchini Cakes are perfect as is, but if you’re looking to switch things up here’s a few ideas!
- Use Mozzarella, Gouda, Gruyere or Monterey Jack Cheese instead of Cheddar
- Swap out the bacon with crumbled sausage or diced ham, or leave out to keep vegetarian
- Add other vegetables like chopped mushrooms or shredded carrots, use your imagination!
Looking For More Tasty Vegetable Side Dishes?
- Buddha’s Loaded Baked Beans
- Roasted Balsamic & Parmesan Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Better Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Bacon Cheddar Zucchini Cakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
These cheesy zucchini cakes have bits of bacon going through them to maximize the flavor! This hearty zucchini recipe can be served as a side or the main meal!
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (try again with 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh grated black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits or cooked chopped bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Squeeze the grated zucchini with a clean kitchen towel or a few paper towels until the zucchini is completely dry. Add to a large bowl along with the eggs, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, bacon bits and cheddar cheese.
- Mix together well and then form into 8 cakes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini cakes and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the zucchini cakes to a paper towel lined plate and season with more kosher salt and grated parmesan cheese.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini recipes, zucchini cakes, side dish recipes, side dishes, vegetable recipes, low carb recipes