This Italian Sub Bruschetta has all the flavors of your favorite sub sandwich! Perfect for appetizers, tailgating or a fun dinner at home!
A weekend of watching sports on TV is awesome, especially when you get into the more important games around play off time, but when we get right down to it – it’s the food that makes watching all that TV more fun.
We usually get a bunch of apps together instead of a big meal, that way you can taste all the food and not get too filled up on one thing. So weather you’ve got wings or nachos or pizza, you can have it all.
One of my favorite appetizers to eat is bruschetta. We’ve done a few recipes here on the site like this Chicken Satay Bruschetta or this Whipped Feta Bruschetta. I’m always looking for different ways to make it though, and this Italian Sub Bruschetta is just one of the ideas I came up with.
Believe me, I’ve got TONS more.
Take all the flavors of your favorite Italian Sub sandwich and pile it on a toasted piece of bread…it’s crazy good. No soggy bread here since you pile on the toppings with each bruschetta bite, so the bread stays super crispy.
We’re going to be making a big batch of this for watching the Suer Bowl and college basketball, I’m going to be getting lots of couch time with all these games going on. I’d better get the food going…
The key to this recipe is making sure you dice up all the ingredients small, and around the same size. You want to be able to pile this on top of the bread and have it stay on, not fall off into a pile on your plate. So get in there and start chopping!
All that’s left to do after that is to get it in the fridge for a while so the flavors can come together.
Toast up some bread, get a bag of shredded lettuce and you’re ready for game time.
I like to serve this Italian Sub Bruschetta in a large bowl with a bowl of the shredded lettuce on the side then let everyone assemble as they eat. Make your friends work once in a while for their food – you did all that chopping.
And like I said before – no one likes soggy bread so it’s best to make these up as you eat them!
This recipe will serve 6 for appetizers.
- 1/2 lb. boiled ham, chopped into a small dice
- 1/4 lb. capicola, chopped into a small dice
- 1/4 lb. salami, chopped into a small dice
- 1/4 lb. provolone, chopped into a small dice
- 1 cup diced grape tomatoes
- 1 j16 oz. jar hot pepper rings, diced small
- 1/4-1/2 cup diced red onion (depending on your taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch sugar
- 1 Italian baguette, sliced and toasted
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Add all the ham, capicola, salami, provolone, tomatoes, peppers and onion to a large bowl.
- Whisk the oregano, olive oil, vinegar, sugar salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over the meat, cheese and peppers.
- Mix well to combine, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To serve, place the shredded lettuce on top of a piece of bread and top with the sub filling.
You can get all the meats and cheese for this recipe right at the deli counter. Just have them slice the meat and cheese thicker than normal so that it’s easier to dice up.