This Roasted Tomato Basil Pizza is bursting with flavor from oven roasted tomatoes! Use up your tomatoes from the garden or grab some from the store!
Why We Love Oven Roasted Tomatoes
The oven roasted tomatoes are what really make this Roasted Tomato Basil Pizza recipe stand out. Roasting tomatoes in the oven makes the flavor sweet and concentrated, so even if you’re starting off with not perfect tomatoes, they’re still going to taste delicious.
This pizza recipe is perfect for using tomatoes from your garden, sometimes your crop gets out of hand, we know. You can even throw on some zucchini if that’s taking over your garden too!
Roasting tomatoes in the oven couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is slice them, season them and place them on a baking sheet.
Roast the tomatoes for about 20-25 minutes until they are wilted and soft, just like this…
Now slide them off with a spatulas, they will be really soft so do this carefully, and set them aside for now.
What Kind Of Cheese Can You Use On This Pizza?
Besides just mozzarella, there are so many different kinds of cheese that you can top this pizza recipe with! You can stick to one cheese or you can blend as many different kinds as you want!
Here are some of our cheese ideas:
- MONTEREY OR PEPPER JACK
- WHITE CHEDDAR
- GOUDA, SMOKED GOUDA
Use your favorite blend or stick to mozzarella, believe me with these roasted tomatoes even just plain mozzarella cheese is going to be amazing!
Can I Use Store Bought Pizza Dough?
Yes you certainly can! We just grab a tube of refrigerated pizza crust from the store. That stuff is so great to have on hand for making easy appetizers and dinner recipes with, it’s almost always in our fridge.
You can also use either thin crust or the thicker crust, that’s totally up to you. For this pizza recipe we used the thin crust variety for extra crispiness but wither will work just fine.
Once you get the tomatoes roasted, the rest of this Roasted Tomato Basil Pizza comes together in just minutes. All you need to do is pre-bake the crust, then top it with cheese and the roasted tomatoes.
There’s no pizza sauce for this recipe, just the fresh oven roasted tomatoes. But if you like your pizza saucy then you can certainly add it! Just pour some on before adding the cheese and fresh tomatoes.
Bake the pizza one more time to melt the cheese and it’s almost ready to serve. All this pizza needs now is a topping of fresh, sliced basil and more grated parmesan cheese.
You really can’t ever have enough parmesan cheese IMO!
Looking For More Dinner Ideas?
- ULTIMATE CHICKEN MARSALA
- CLASSIC GLAZED MEATLOAF or BROWN GRAVY MEATLOAF
- ITALIAN BEEF PIZZA
- CHICKEN FRIED RICE
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 pizza crust 11 ounce thin crust
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced into thin strips
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/8 thick slices and place on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray
- Season the tomatoes with salt, Italian seasoning pepper and olive oil and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes
- Lower the oven to 425 degrees, then spread out the pizza crust out onto a clean baking sheet spreading to the edges as much as possible. Poke holes with a fork along the top of the crust so it doesn't bubble up.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes then remove from the oven and top with the three types of cheese and the roasted tomatoes.
- Place the pizza back in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 7-8 minutes.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
You can use any type of melting cheese for this pizza that you like! See the post for ideas!
This pizza can also be made fully, then frozen and reheated at 350 for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 35mg Sodium: 879mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g