These Buttered Carrots with Streusel Topping will take over your dinner! Sweet, roasted carrots covered with a nutty streusel makes veggies disappear!
Holiday Side Dish Recipe
We know everyone focuses on the main dish, but sometimes you make a side dish that totally steals the show! These Buttered Carrots with Streusel Topping are definitely one of those side dishes…
Not that you should only make this carrot recipe on holidays, we actually make them pretty often for Sunday dinners or for special occasions. Kids absolutely love them, wait and see how fast they dive in!
We’ve got SO many killer side dish recipes, you’re going to want to take a browse though some of them here:
- Creamed Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Gruyere
- Pan Roasted Radishes in Bacon Cream Sauce
- The BEST Brussels Sprouts Casserole
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
How Do You Make This Carrot Recipe?
We’ll take you through the step by step for this carrots recipe! This recipe calls for cooking the carrots in two step, first par-boiling them to get them tender and then finishing them off in the oven.
Believe me, the extra step is worth it. If we only roasted these carrots in the oven, the topping would burn by the time they were done.
While the carrots are boiling you can make the streusel topping for your carrots. In a bowl, mix together butter, chopped walnuts and brown sugar with flour until you get all the butter mixed together sort of like a paste.
Pour the carrots into an 8 x 8 baking dish, add a few pats of butter and then top it all off with the streusel topping.
Can You Make This Side Dish Ahead Of Time?
Like any holiday side dish, we know you’re going to want to make this carrot recipe ahead of time. So you can stop right here before the carrots go into the oven, cover with foil and refrigerate. That way all you need to do is bring them to room temperature and then pop them into the oven!
One less thing to get ready for a holiday dinner, or ANY dinner is a win for me.
After about 20 minutes in the oven, these Buttered Streusel Carrots will be tender, buttery and irresistible. Try them at your next holiday dinner!
Looking For More Side Dish Recipes?
- Disco Fries Casserole
- Buddha’s Baked Beans
- Creamy & Smooth Mashed Potatoes
- Grandma’s Favorite Stuffed Artichokes
This decadent side dish recipe is going to be a hit at any holiday table!
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Streusel Topping
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a a large pot, boil the carrots about 7-8 minutes until they are just fork tender.
- Drain the carrots and place into an 8″ x 8″ casserole dish along with the butter, cut into pieces.
- Mix together the walnuts, brown sugar, flour, butter and salt in a bowl using your fingers to get all the ingredients worked into the butter.
- Add the streusel topping to the top of the carrots, spreading out to cover them.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the topping is browned.
Keywords: roasted carrots, side dish recipes, vegetable side dish, holiday side dish, buttered carrots, thanksgiving sides, Christmas sides, Easter Sides