Green Chile Chicken Hand Pies are filled with a cheesy chicken filling that has just the right amount of heat! These are great for appetizers or dinner!
Chicken Hand Pies
I took a short cut for these Green Chile Chicken Hand Pies and used Stubb’s Green Chile Anytime Sauce – and I’m so glad I did. The flavor is so good, I’m stocking up!
This sauce is probably one of my favorites that I’ve tried so far from Stubb’s. I’m not a crazy big fan of things that are super spicy – just the right amount of heat is good enough for me.
But I’m not going to say this sauce isn’t spicy – It’s spicy – But not blow your head off spicy. I don’t know what about the green chili makes this heat totally addictive to me but I just know I like it.
How To Make Chicken Hand Pies
A great way to take a short cut is using a store bought rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Take the skin off, shred it up and get it in a bowl.
Next add in a cup of the green chile sauce, 2 cups of shredded cheese, a cup of roasted red peppers and mix it all together. No seasonings needed, the green chile sauce takes care of it all.
Roll out a sheet of puff pastry into about a 13″ x 13″ square. One of the few times I have to break out a rolling pin unless the kids are acting up…but sometimes it has to be done. Cut into 4 equal pieces and start filling them up.
This is also not a recipe that you have to be really careful not to put too much filling in the middle.
If it makes it easier to know how much filling to put in each hand pie, before you start filling you can divide the chicken mixture into 8 equal piles.
I’d say it’s about a half cup each but you don’t need to be exact. Brush the edges with egg wash and then fold it up like this…
Now get some egg wash all over the top and get these spicy hand pies in the oven.
About 25 minutes – but you’ll know when they’re done because you’ll smell them. And then you’ll peak at them in the oven and the cheese will be oozing out and the puff pastry will be perfectly browned…
Then get ready because you’re about to be blown away. Not from the heat – from the flavor.
Serve these Green Chile Hand Pies for dinner or cut them up for appetizers, just make sure you have lots of cold beer (or milk) on hand!
Looking For More Recipes With Rotisserie Chicken?
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Eggs
- Chicken Marsala Baked Ziti
- 15 Minute Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti
- Caramelized Onion Chicken Salad
These Green Chile Chicken Hand Pies are perfect for a casual chicken dinner or even a party appetizer. Crispy dough stuffed with flavorful shredded chicken filling. They’re so good I’m making extra to stock up!
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, skin removed and shredded (you’ll end up with about 4 cups of shredded chicken)
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1 cup Stubb’s Green Chile Anytime Sauce
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the shredded chicken, cheese, peppers and chile sauce in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry on a cutting board dusted with a little flour until you have a 13″ x 13″ square.
- Cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares.
- Fill each square with about 1/2 cup of the chicken filling.
- Brush the edges of each square with egg wash. Take the 2 top corners and fold them down to meet in the middle, and then do the same with the bottom corners so that all four corners meet together in the middle. Seal the edges together well and then brush the top with egg wash.
- Repeat with the other 3 squares and place on a baking sheet.
- Follow the same instructions for the other sheet of puff pastry so that you have 8 hand pies total.
- Bake for 25 minutes until browned on top, remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
These hand pies can be served for dinner or appetizers. They can be baked, completely cooled and then frozen for a quick meal!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken hand pies, easy chicken appetizers, easy hand pie recipe, puff pastry chicken pie