This Chicken Sausage Fiesta Chili is loaded with beans, corn and tomatoes with a mild chili flavor that the whole family will love. Now that’s a party!
Chili isn’t just a cold weather meal.
We love making chili of all different types, all year round. I love making this Thai Chicken Chili for any type of party, or game watching. And we make our Everyday Chili all the time – whatever the weather.
The boys love eating chili topped with cheese or mixed with pasta for Chili Mac, or they just grab a bag of tortilla chips and use them instead of a spoon.
And leftover chili is perfect for a quick lunch or a late night snack or for spreading onto tortilla chips, covering with cheese and baking in the oven.
Chili Nachos. Everyone is eating them.
Now this Chicken Sausage Fiesta Chili is up there on the list too. Made with sweet (or spicy) chicken sausage, tomatoes, two kinds of beans and corn.
If it’s summer time and you have fresh corn to use you definitely should, otherwise frozen or canned corn will work fine. You can swap out the beans if you only have red beans or white beans too, the key here is the chicken sausage.
It gives this chili such an awesome flavor…you won’t be able to stop eating it.
Get started by cooking down chopped onions in a big soup pot then getting in the chicken sausage to brown. The you just need to start adding the rest of the ingredients.
Beans, more beans, tomatoes and corn.
Mix it all together then pour in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes then let this Chicken Sausage Fiesta Chili simmer down on your stove for an hour or so.
You know that dinner is going to seem like a party when you get a big pot of this chili on the table. Set out a bunch of toppings and let the family go crazy.
We like to eat this chili as is, or topped with cheese, sour cream, a little splash of hot sauce and even some diced avocados if you happen to be in that golden hour when you have some ripe.
Did you know that you can freeze avocados? You totally can – and should so you always have some on hand!
But don’t forget the tortilla chips!
- 2 pounds sweet or spicy chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen or canned corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- Start by adding the oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook down while stirring for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic to the onions and stir.
- Place the chicken sausage into the pot and stir to break up into small pieces as it browns with the onions and garlic.
- Once the chicken sausage is browned, add in both cans of beans, corn, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine then add the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce if using.
- Cook the chili over medium heat, stirring occasionally for an hour.
- Test for seasonings and serve as is or with desired toppings.