It’s fish taco time! So tonight we’ve made them fit into our watermelon week by making these Fish Tacos with Watermelon Slaw.
You guys are going to love this- even I did. We all did. The kids and my in-laws were over for a taste testing dinner and these fish tacos were a solid hit – and I don’t even like fish tacos! Big shocker, I know. But after trying these I guess, now I do…
I’d never go out to a restaurant and order a fish taco before, not before we made these -no way. But I might consider it now if I could find some that are half as good as these.
Even though they might look like they take some time to make, these Fish Tacos were really easy to put together. I’d even call them a dinner in under 30.
All you have to do is combine all the ingredients for the watermelon slaw together in a bowl and stick it in the fridge while you cook up your fish.
You can grill your fish, bake it in the oven or pan-fry. I chose pan-frying just because it was quick and easy at the time.
If you have a gas stove, you can char the corn tortillas right on top of the burner, or you can warm them in the oven but I like the charred flavor that you get from doing them over a flame.
All that’s left to do is put them together! Put a platter out of your fish, the shredded lettuce, sliced avocado and the watermelon slaw. Everything for these fish tacos can be made and prepared ahead of time too, then just cook up the fish and dinner’s done.
Even if you think you don’t like fish tacos – or fish even – try these Fish Tacos with Watermelon Slaw, they just might change your mind!
These fish tacos have a delicious watermelon slaw on top!
For the Fish
- 2 lbs. catfish
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 ground black pepper
- 2 T. olive oil
For the Watermelon Slaw
- 4 cups watermelon, chopped into a small dice
- 1/2 thin sliced red onion, soaked in ice water for 10 minutes then drained
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 t. salt
- 4 radishes, sliced thin and then chopped into matchsticks
For the Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 romaine heart, finely shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Start by making the watermelon salsa. Add all the ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the seasoned fish, top side down first and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook another 4-5 minutes until the fish is opaque.
- Warm the tortillas by placing them in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or char them on the gas burner of your stove.
- Place a piece of fish in the center of a corn tortilla then top with the watermelon slaw, shredded lettuce and a slice of avocado.
- Serve with additional lime wedges.
- You can substitute cod, halibut, tilapia or flounder in this recipe.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fish tacos, seafood recipe, dinner ideas