These tasty fried eggplant appetizers are fun for parties, but also hearty enough to serve as a light meal!
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large baguette
- olive oil
- salt pepper
- 2 small eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2” thick rounds
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce (or your favorite jarred sauce)
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the baguette into 1/2″ thick pieces, brush with olive oil then add salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 5 minutes, flip and cook another 3 minutes Remove from the oven to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat the marinara sauce over low heat while you bread the eggplant.
- Mix the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together in a bowl and add the beaten eggs to another bowl.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. The amount of oil you use will depend on the size of your skillet, you want a shallow fry so at least 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom of the pan.
- While the oil is heating you can start breading the eggplant. Start by dipping each round into the egg, letting the excess drip off, then coating in the bread crumb mixture.
- Add the breaded eggplant to the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown then remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Repeat until all the eggplant is fried.
- Assemble the toasts by placing a spoonful of sauce in each toast, followed by the fried eggplant and then topped with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: eggplant recipes, fried eggplant, eggplant parmesan, appetizer recipes