There are a lot of recipes that claim to be the BEST, but this really is The Best Sausage Stuffing recipe! We make it as a Thanksgiving side dish and also during the regular year – it’s so good we have to get our fix any time we can!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, sweet or spicy, casings removed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 large green apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 16 cups cubed white bread, toasted (*see note)
- Extra butter for buttering the dish and for the top of the stuffing
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in an extra large skillet (13 to 14 inch deep skillet), then add the sausage, breaking up with a spoon or spatula until browned.
- When the sausage is almost all browned add in the diced apple, onion, poultry seasoning and thyme then cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, salt and pepper and let simmer for 15 minutes. After the sausage and broth mixture have simmered, taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Add the toasted bread cubes to a large bowl. After the chicken broth has cooled slightly, pour it over the bread and toss gently until all the cubes are moistened.
- Beat the eggs together with the parsley and add to the bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour the stuffing into a buttered, 9″ x 13″ baking dish and then top the stuffing with small pieces of butter all around, about 2 tablespoons.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil off and bake another 20 minutes until the stuffing is crispy on top.
If you prefer to not have a crispy stuffing then leave the foil on for the entire cooking time. You can make this stuffing recipe ahead of time, cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Bring the dish out about 30 minutes before cooking to let it come to room temperature first.
To Make Ahead and Freeze: Make the stuffing, let it cool and then wrap it and freeze it until you’re ready to bake! Put the frozen stuffing, covered with foil, into a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes and then uncover for 15. Perfect, make ahead stuffing!
You’ll need to buy 2 regular loaves of white bread (you’ll use about 1 1/2 loaves for 16 cups) or you can buy and extra large 24 ounce loaf. Toast the bread and then cut or tear into cubes.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, sausage stuffing, best stuffing recipe, easy stuffing recipe, sausage and apple stuffing, sausage and herb stuffing, thanksgiving side dish, homemade stuffing, thanksgiving stuffing