This strip steak recipe is really all about the sweet onion topping! You can use this onion sauce recipe on chicken or hamburgers, too!
- 2 (10-12 oz.) strip steaks
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups sliced onions (about 5 large onions)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Start by making the onion sauce. Melt the butter to a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted add in the onions, bay leaf and the thyme stirring to coat in the butter. Cook, stirring often for 25-30 minutes until the onions are soft and brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, stir and cook the wine out for 3 minute, then add the beef broth and the cream, stir and turn off the heat. Remove the bay leaf, cover and keep warm.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper generously and place on a grill over medium-high heat.
- Grill 6-7 minutes on each side for medium rare, adding a few minutes per side if you want a more well done steak.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let rest, covered in foil for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak into thick slices and serve with the onion sauce.
- You can substitute any cut of steak you have or like. This would be great with filet or even a flank steak. You could also serve this onion sauce over chicken or pork chops.
- Serving Size: 4
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: onion sauce recipe, caramelized onions, steak topping, grilled steak recipe, steak recipe, onions,