Our Sausage Cornbread Dressing is sure to become a family favorite recipe! Moist and flavorful with a bit of spice from Italian sausage. A delicious side dish for any meal!
- 2 pounds store bought cornbread, (or day old homemade cornbread) crumbled into large pieces
- 1 pound Italian sausage or pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced apple, peeled
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher sat
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- Extra butter for buttering the dish and on top of the dressing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the cornbread in the oven for about 10 minutes. You just want the cornbread dried out and slightly toasted, not burnt. You can do this step a day in advance if you need to save some time.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the sausage to brown, breaking up with a spoon.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the onion, celery and apple. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper then the chicken broth.
- Bring the broth to a simmer and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Place the cornbread in a large bowl and toss gently with the beaten eggs. Pour the chicken broth and sausage mixture on top. Toss again gently to combine and then pour into a buttered 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Dot the top of the dressing with extra butter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes to crisp up the top of the dressing.
Add an additional 5-10 minutes to the covered cooking time if the dressing is cold from the refrigerator.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven / Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage stuffing, cornbread stuffing, cornbread dressing, thanksgiving side dish, thanksgiving stuffing, thanksgiving dressing