This easy cornbread dressing recipe is packed with spicy sausage and sweet cornbread! A great make ahead stuffing recipe especially for Thanksgiving!
- 2 pounds pre-baked cornbread, crumbled into large pieces
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced apple, peeled
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher sat
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Extra butter for buttering the dish and on top of the dressing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the sausage to brown, breaking up with a spoon.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the onion, celery and apple. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper then the chicken broth.
- Bring the broth to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. While the broth is simmering you can toast the cornbread. (You can also do this ahead of time)
- Toast the cornbread in the oven for about 10 minutes. You just want the cornbread dried out and slightly toasted, not burnt.
- Place the cornbread in a large bowl then pour the chicken broth and sausage mixture on top. Stir gently to combine then add the beaten eggs and stir.
- Pour into a buttered 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and dab some extra butter on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes to crisp up the top of the dressing.
Add an additional 5-10 minutes to the covered cooking time if the dressing is cold from the refrigerator.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven / Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage stuffing, cornbread stuffing, cornbread dressing, thanksgiving side dish, thanksgiving stuffing, thanksgiving dressing