These Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas are sure to be a favorite dinner at your house! Use this chicken for tacos or nachos or just serve over rice!
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large navel orange, half sliced and half reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Flour or corn tortillas for serving
- Pour the apple juice in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the chicken and season with the oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Place the orange slices on top, then squeeze the other half of the orange over the chicken. Cook high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6.
- Shred chicken and place back in slow cooker, tossing in the juices, and then cook on high for 30 minutes. This infuses more of the flavor from the juices into the chicken, but if you’re short on time, you can move right to the broiler.
- Remove the chicken from the juice, draining off as much as possible. Spray a sheet pan with an oil-based cooking spray and then add the chicken in a single layer.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, toss, then place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned and crispy. Add to a serving bowl or platter and toss with some of the juice from the slow cooker.
- Serve in tortillas, taco shells or over rice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy chicken recipe, chicken recipes, slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, easy dinner recipes, shredded chicken, chicken tacos, chicken carnitas