This slow cooker meatball recipe is a great way to get more vegetables in at dinner time! The cabbage is stuffed inside this easy meatball recipe and the sauce is only 3 ingredients!
For the Meatballs
- 2 lbs. meatloaf mix ( a combination of beef, pork and veal)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 lb. shredded cabbage
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Sauce
- 3 cups marinara sauce (or 1 jar from the store)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the shredded cabbage and onion with 1 teaspoon of the salt to the skillet and cook down for 15-20 minutes until it’s completely wilted. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, the remaining salt, Italian seasoning, Worchestershire sauce and the cabbage to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir or use your hands to mix well, then form into golf ball sized meatballs (about 2 ” in diameter).
- In the same skillet you cooked the cabbage in, heat another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat then add in the meatballs to brown. Cook for 4-5 minutes while turning the meatballs carefully so they brown on all sides.
- While the meatballs are browning, stir together the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
- Once the meatballs are browned, place them into your slow cooker and cover them with the marinara sauce.
- Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours. They’ll be ready after 6, but if you’re not home you can leave them cook for up to 8 hours.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meatballs, meatball recipes, easy meatball recipes, slow cooker meatballs, ground beef recipes, homemade meatball recipe