A delicious twist on a French Dip sandwich! This crock pot recipe makes for an easy dinner night, and perfect party food!
- 4 pounds chuck roast, cut into large pieces
- Garlic powder, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (for seasoning the beef)
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (12 oz.) can beer
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce (your favorite kind)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base (I used Better Than Bouillon!)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 12 onion rolls or kaiser rolls
- Provolone or mozzarella cheese slices (2 slices per sandwich)
- Season the beef cubes generously with garlic powder, salt and pepper, then add it to a slow cooker along with the sliced onions and thyme.
- Add the beer, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beef base and beef broth in a large bowl and stir to combine. Pour the sauce over the beef cubes, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Test a piece of beef to see if it shreds easily before you remove the beef from the slow cooker, then remove the beef and onions to a large bowl. Shred the beef using two forks or meat claws then cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour the juice into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens. Add some of the juice to the shredded beef and onions, just enough to moisten the beef.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the bottom buns on a sheet pan and add the shredded beef to each bun. Add 2 slices of cheese on top of the beef and place into the oven to melt the cheese.
- Add the top bun to the sandwiches and serve with sauce on the side for dipping.
*All slow cookers cook differently, test a piece of beef to see if it shreds easily. If it doesn’t just keep cooking until it easily pulls apart.
**If you want to make the sandwiches ahead of time, follow all directions up to adding the cheese to the buns. Don’t melt the cheese in the oven, instead just add the cheese to the buns then add the beef and onions. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and refrigerate until ready to cook. When ready, heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the wrapped sandwiches on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with warmed juice on the side.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, french dip sandwiches, easy dinner recipes, beef, sandwich recipes, dinner ideas, party food, bbq food