This easy roast chicken recipe is a staple at our house! Perfect for Sunday dinners and meal prepping during the week, and you can make a quick chicken stock with the bones when you’re done!
- 7–8 pound oven stuffer roasting chicken
- Kosher salt, fresh black pepper, paprika, garlic powder (For seasoning the chicken)
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, cut in half
- 2 small carrots, washed and cut in half
- 1 yellow onion, cut in fourths and peels removed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the giblets packet from the chicken and discard. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and place on a board. Stuff the cavity with the head of garlic, lemon, celery stalks, carrots and onion.
- Tie the legs together, crisscrossing the ends together and then wrap a strand of twine around the bottom of the chicken and over the wings and tie on the top of the chicken to keep the wings in place.
- Season the chicken generously with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Use your hands to rub the spices and seasonings all over the legs, wings and the undersides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into a roasting pan or a baking dish. Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into the bottom of the pan and add extra carrots and celery if making a gravy after the chicken is roasted.
- Tent the chicken with foil (or cover if your roasting pan has a lid) and cook for 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the oven, baste with the juices from the pan and then return to the oven with the foil or lid removed.
- Continue to cook for another 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken. Chicken needs to be cooked to 180 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh, until the juices run clear. Also, many roasting chickens have a pop up timer that will let you know when your chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, tent with foil to let rest for 10 minutes and then carve and serve.
You can also use 1 cup of white wine and 1 cup of chicken broth instead of the 2 cups of chicken broth – wine gives this roasted chicken an excellent flavor!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roast chicken, chicken recipes, roasted chicken, whole chicken recipes, easy chicken recipes, how to roast a chicken