This homemade sausage and basil pesto pizza is so much better than take out! Make delicious, authentic tasting pizza right in your own kitchen!
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, spicy or mild, cooked and crumbled
- Store bought pizza dough or a pre-baked pizza crust
- 28 ounce can whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- Basil infused olive oil
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- If using a pre-baked pizza crust, follow the instructions on the package for a pre-baked crust. If using a store bought pizza dough, roll the dough out into a 10 inch round. Place the dough onto a pizza stone and prick a few times around with a fork. Brush a light layer of olive oil on the dough and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with a layer of sauce. Don’t add too much sauce because your pizza will be soggy after it bakes, we’re looking for a nice, crispy crust. Add the sausage crumbles to the pizza, followed by several dollops of the basil pesto. Place the fresh mozzarella on the pizza, scattered so that it’s no overlapping.
- Bake the pizza for 12-14 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is nice and brown. remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle with the basil infused oil, then top with parmesan cheese and fresh strips of basil.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately.
If you don’t have a pizza stone, a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray will work too. You can make 2 smaller pizza rounds to fit on the baking sheet.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pizza recipe, homemade pizza, easy dinner recipes, take out at home, dinner ideas, recipes with italian sausage