Make these Puff Pastry Pizza Pockets for your next party! You can actually make these pizza pockets for appetizers or for a fun dinner instead of ordering pizza!
- 2 packages frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted (4 sheets total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces mushrooms, stems removed and chopped into a small dice
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 cup pizza sauce (plus more for serving)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and onion, breaking up the sausage into small crumbles as it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked through, add the chopped mushrooms and garlic. Season with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the pizza sauce, taste for seasonings and remove from the heat.
- Add a little flour to board. Place a sheet of puff pastry on the board and roll out into a to a 12″ x 12′ square. Cut the square into 3 vertical strips and then each strip into 3 squares, making 12 squares total from each sheet.
- Fill each square with 1 tablespoon of the sausage filling and then top with a heaping tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.
- Brush 2 sides of each square with the egg wash. The egg wash won’t stick to egg wash, so you’ll be folding over the 2 sides with egg wash to meet the 2 sides without egg wash to form a triangle. Make sure to tuck the filling inside the triangle before sealing the edges. Use a fork to seal the edges all around the triangle and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until you have 18 puff pastry pockets. (You’ll need two baking sheets to cook these, 9 on each sheet).
- Brush the tops of the puff pastry pockets with egg wash and then sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese. We like to add fresh black pepper also, but that is optional.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden brown. While the puff pastry pockets are baking you can grab the other 2 sheets of puff pastry and make the rest of the pizza pockets. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a platter with a spatula. Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.
- This recipe can easily be cut in half, or you can make the puff pastry pockets and freeze them for later. To reheat from frozen: place frozen puff pastry pockets on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes in a 400 degree oven. If the tops start to get brown, you can cover them with foil.
- If you want a crispier, more brown puff pastry pocket you can place them under the broiler for a couple of minutes after cooking.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, puff pastry recipe, game day food, party food, pizza bites, recipes with italian sausage, pizza pocket