Pasta Fazool (AKA Pasta e Fagioli!) is a mega comforting, meal in a bowl soup! This is our family favorite recipe that has just a few simple ingredients with giant, tender pieces of ham!
- 16 ounce bag dried great northern beans (can also use cannellini beans)
- 1 ham bone from an 8-10 pound ham with ham cut off, reserve ham (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 16 ounce box elbow macaroni
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping the soup
- Add 26 cups of water to an 8 quart stock pot. Rinse the beans and then add the to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let sit on the stove for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cut the ham off the ham bone and reserve. You’ll need about 4 cups of ham for this recipe, a little more or less is fine. Chop the onion and celery and set aside.
- After the beans have soaked for an hour, add the ham bone to the pot along with the reserved ham, onions and celery. Pour in the tomato sauce and add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 2 hours. You can stir the soup a few times while it’s cooking, but it’s not totally necessary.
- Pour in the whole box of elbow macaroni, stir and cook covered for another 15 minutes. Remove the ham bone from the soup and discard. The soup will thicken as it sits, we usually let the soup sit on the stove top with the heat off for about 15 minutes before serving, but you can certainly enjoy right away.
- Garnish the soup with fresh black pepper and grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American / Italian
Keywords: mantitlement, pasta fazool, pasta e fagioli, pasta fasule, ham soup, ham and bean soup, leftover ham recipe