This egg roll recipe has an Italian twist! Italian sausage, peppers and mozzarella cheese fill the egg rolls that are fried until crispy!
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 pieces of string cheese cut in half
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers (the larger wonton wrappers)
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Extra marinara sauce for dipping
- Start a large, deep pot of oil over medium heat. Use a frying thermometer until the temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile make the filling by adding the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for 7-8 minutes until softened. Next add in the sausage, breaking up with a spoon as it browns until there is no pink left in the meat. Drain any drippings from the skillet.
- Season the filling with the salt and garlic powder, then stir in the marinara sauce. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Take and egg roll wrapper and place it on a work surface with the point side towards you so it’s shaped like a diamond (look at the process photo in the post for reference)
- Place 1/3 of a cup of the filling on the wrapper like shown in the photo with a half of a cheese stick on top. Try and place some of the meat filling on top of the cheese stick before rolling into shape.
- Fold the tip of the triangle over the filling, roll once and then fold both sides in towards the center of the egg roll, then roll over until the top triangle tip seals the egg roll. Use egg wash before rolling up to make sure the edge stays.
- Fry at 350 for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Depending on the size of your pot will depend on how many egg rolls you can fry at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot.
- Remove the egg rolls to a paper towel lined plate to drain while you fry the rest.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
You can keep the egg rolls warm in a 300 degree oven for up to an hour before serving. Or, freeze the egg rolls for a make ahead recipe and then cook them from frozen in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the filling is warmed through.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg rolls, appetizer recipes, appetizers, recipes with sausage, fried food