This Hot Dog Bun Stuffing Recipe is a fun twist on classic sausage stuffing. It’s easy to make and a great way to use up any leftover hot dog buns. Kids and adults alike will be digging into it, so make sure you make enough!
- 24 ounces hot dog buns, toasted and broken into pieces
- 1 pound mild pork sausage (like the kind in the tube)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated apple, squeezed dry with a paper towel
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Butter for buttering the casserole dish and on top of the stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the sausage to brown, breaking up with a spoon.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the onion and grated apple.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the onion and apple have softened.
- Add the poultry seasoning, parsley, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Bring the broth to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes over medium low heat. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the toasted hot dog bun pieces into a large bowl with the mozzarella cheese, then pour the chicken broth and sausage mixture on top. Stir gently to combine then add the cream and stir well to combine.
- Pour the stuffing into a buttered 9″ x 13″ casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, add a few pieces of butter on top of the stuffing and bake another 10 minutes uncovered to crisp up the top of the dressing.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven / Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy stuffing recipe, sausage stuffing, hot dog bun stuffing, homemade stuffing, thanksgiving side dish, christmas dinner side