Turn your leftover turkey into a meal that lasts for days! We love making this soup with our leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!
For the stock
- 1 leftover turkey carcass, picked clean of meat and large pieces of skin and fat
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut in fourths
- 5 celery stalks, including the leafy tops, cut into large pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons – 4 Tablespoons of salt
- 1 T. peppercorns
For the soup
- 1 batch of turkey stock
- 4–5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups leftover turkey meat
- 1 bag (12 oz) egg noodles
- fresh thyme for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the turkey carcass to a large stock pot.
- Add in the onions, bay leaves, carrots, celery, salt and peppercorns.
- Fill the pot with enough water to just cover the turkey, too much water will result in a weak stock.
- Set the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to a good simmer and let cook for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the stock into another smaller stock pot and let cool.
- Once cooled for about an hour on the counter, put in the refrigerator to chill for 3-4 hours or overnight until you can see the fat start to separate to the top.
- Skim the fat off the top as much as you can and place your pot back on the stove.
- Add in the diced carrots, celery and salt and pepper to taste and cook 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the pasta and turkey pieces and cook until the pasta is done, another 10 minutes.
- Test for seasonings again and serve.
Everyone cooks and seasons their turkey differently so the salt and pepper are to taste depending on how salty the stock is when it’s done.
The key to this recipe is that whatever size chicken or turkey you use, just add enough water to cover the top of the bones and the vegetables. So a larger turkey or chicken will yield more soup than a smaller one.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey soup, homemade turkey soup, leftover turkey bones, the best turkey soup recipe, leftover turkey soup