This tender beef pot roast recipe is perfect for Sunday dinners and leftovers for the week!
- 4–5 pound chuck roast
- Kosher salt and pepper for seasoning the roast
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 10 ounces mushrooms
- 2 cups baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3/4 pound baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 4–5 whole garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a dutch oven over medium heat. you want a thin layer of oil at the bottom, so add as much as you need to coat the bottom of your dutch oven.
- Season the meat generously with salt and pepper, and then coat with the flour shaking off any excess.
- Once the oil is hot, add the roast to the pot and sear the meat on all sides until brown. Remove the roast from the pot and set on a board.
- Add the mushrooms to the same pot and brown for 5 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Next add the carrots, potatoes, garlic and rosemary along with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste. Cook the vegetables for another 5-8 minutes.
- Stir the tomato paste into the vegetables and then deglaze the pot with the wine. Cook out the wine for 1 minute, then add the roast back to the pot (with any juices from the plate).
- Pour in beef broth, making sure the broth only comes about 1/2 up the roast. You might need more or less, depending on the size of your dutch oven.
- Add bay leaf, cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pot roast to a board and cover with foil. Scoop out the potatoes and carrots, add to a bowl and cover with foil. Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil, then add the cornstarch mixture and whisk until thickened.
- Let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes, then taste for seasonings and adjust if needed. Slice the pot roast and add to a serving platter along with the potatoes and carrots. Pour some of the gravy on top of the pot roast and serve with extra gravy on the side.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pot roast, pot roast recipe, comfort food recipes, chuck roast recipes, how to cook a pot roast, easy pot roast recipe