This delicious, warm German Potato Salad is a BBQ party classic! Not only do we love serving this potato salad at BBQ’s, but it’s a great side for holidays and just everyday meals!
- 3 pounds baby potatoes (we like the peels on but you can peel them if you like)
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 8 strips cooked, chopped bacon, reserve drippings
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- drizzle of olive oil
- Start by steaming the potatoes in a steamer for about 15 minutes until fork tender. If you don’t have a steamer you can also boil the potatoes for about the same amount of time until the are just fork tender. Place the potatoes in a colander or a bowl and let them cool slightly while you make the bacon vinaigrette.
- Add 1/4 cup of bacon drippings to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Once the drippings are hot, add the red onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer and then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth and vinegar into the skillet, stir and let reduce for 3 minutes while on a low simmer. Whisk in the mustard and sugar and remove from the heat.
- Cut the potatoes in half and place them in a large serving bowl along with the chopped bacon. Pour the warm dressing over the potatoes, add the chopped parsley and drizzle with a little olive oil. Toss the potato salad gently, taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Serve immediately so the potato salad is warm. (See notes for making this recipe ahead of time)
Typically this potato salad recipe is served warm, so if you’d like to serve it warm here’s how you do it. Cook your potatoes and prep all the ingredients for the dressing.
If you’re doing this a few hours ahead of time, you can leave the potatoes at room temperature until you’re ready and then make the bacon vinaigrette, toss and serve.
Need more time? If you need to make this potato salad a day ahead of time, cook the potatoes and refrigerate. Prep the ingredients for the bacon vinaigrette and refrigerate. An hour or two before you’re ready to serve, take the potatoes out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature. Prepare the bacon vinaigrette, toss and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, potato recipes, potato salad recipes, german potato salad, side dish recipes, side dishes, make ahead recipes, recipes with bacon