Flat Chicken is family favorite recipe! Flat Chicken is what our boys used to call these crispy chicken cutlets when they were little and the name stuck! Eat these cutlets as is or use them to make so many different recipes!
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 4 large chicken breasts, see note)
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (use a good quality parmesan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on a board. Top with a chicken breast and then another pieces of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken out to a 1/2 inch thickness. If your chicken breasts are very large, you can butterfly them first to make it easier.
- Set up a breading station with flour in one dish, the eggs beaten with cream, salt and pepper in another dish and the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in another dish.
- Dip a chicken breast into the flour, tapping off the excess flour. Now dip into the egg mixture, letting the excess egg drip off and then into the bread crumb mixture, pressing to make sure the chicken is coated well. Place the breaded chicken on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Add a thin layer of oil to a large skillet. This isn’t a deep fry but you want enough oil to coat the entire bottom of the skillet. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot, then add a couple of breaded chicken breasts at a time as to not crowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on how thick your chicken cutlets are, then remove from the skillet onto a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Serve while hot or keep in a warm oven (325 degrees) until ready to serve.
You can also use thin cut chicken breasts so that you don’t have to pound out the chicken.
Freeze these chicken cutlets in a freezer bag and reheat in a 400 degree oven, covered loosely with foil until warmed through. To make sure the chicken gets crispy on both sides, turn the chicken cutlets over once when reheating.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, chicken cutlets, breaded chicken cutlets, parmesan chicken breast