These easy Fiesta Steak Tips are perfect as party appetizers or for dinner any day of the week! Super tender steak tips with an easy, Tex-Mex flavored marinade!
- 2 pounds beef tips *see note
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, left whole for easy removal from the marinade
- Oil for cooking the steak (avocado, canola or vegetable oil)
- Add the beef tips to a large resealable bag or a glass dish.
- Add the ingredients for the marinade to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the meat and stir to make sure that all the beef is coated in the marinade.
- Marinate the beef in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to overnight. The longer you marinade the beef, the more flavor it will have.
- Remove the beef tips from the marinade and dry well with paper towels. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Add a thin layer of canola, avocado or vegetable oil to a large skillet. You want the meat in a single layer and not touching, so use the largest skillet that you have, or brown the meat in batches.
- Sear the beef on each for about 3-4 minutes until a crust forms. You’ll want the beef to be medium, or medium rare so that it’s not tough. Turn the beef tips over and sear on the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Remove to a platter and cover with foil. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Oven Method:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the beef tips on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spay. Add the beef tips in a single layer, spaced apart. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn the beef tips over and cook for another 5 minutes on the other side. (See note)
- Remove the beef to a serving bowl and pour any juices from the bottom of the baking sheet over the beef tips.
- Serve immediately.
You can buy beef tips already cut up for you in most stores but if they aren’t available buy a steak like a sirloin or a skirt steak and cut it up.
For the oven method, after the steak has cooked, you can place the steak tips under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the edges if desired.
These steak tips will keep warm in a 250 degree oven for about an hour without overcooking too much.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American