This Creamy Penne Vodka Recipe is made with the best homemade vodka sauce! Tender penne pasta tossed with a rich, creamy vodka sauce that tastes like it came from a restaurant.
- 1 pound penne pasta (16 ounce box)
- 3/4 cup onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on the level of spiciness you want)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 3/4 – 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Start a large pot of water over high heat to boil the pasta. Cook the penne 1-2 minutes shy of the package directions and drain. Do not rinse.
- While the pasta is cooking start making the vodka sauce by heating a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the oil and onions, stirring to coat the onions in the oil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions have browned slightly and cooked down add the crushed red pepper flakes and the garlic. Stir and cook for a minute longer and then carefully pour in the vodka.
- Let the vodka reduce until the liquid is almost gone, about 4-5 minutes, then stir in the tomato paste.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes in the skillet and whisk until smooth.
- Add the oregano, basil, salt and pepper, stir and simmer partially covered with a lid for 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream to finish the sauce, taste for seasonings and remove from the heat.
- Add the drained pasta back to the pot and then pour in the vodka sauce and the parmesan cheese.
- Toss the pasta together with the sauce until all the pasta is well coated and serve with extra red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese (optional).
*If you are cooking on a gas stove, turn off the flame before you pour in the vodka
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vodka sauce recipe, vodka sauce pasta, how to make vodka sauce, pasta alla vodka, homemade vodka sauce, pasta recipes,