This healthy and comforting chicken soup recipe is one of our family favorites! If you’re under the weather or just need a healthy pick me up, this detox soup is the recipe for you!
- 4 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1–2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat bow tie pasta
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, black pepper and oregano.
- Add the oil to a large dutch oven or soup pot. Spray the bottom with non-stick cooking spray and then add the chicken breasts in a single layer. Brown the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken is nicely browned. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pot along with a teaspoon of salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Cook fro 7-8 minutes until the vegetables are softened, then add the garlic and cook for minute longer.
- Pour in the wine to deglaze the pot. (See note if not using wine) Scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot and cook the wine out for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken stock and then place the chicken breasts back into the pot.
- Add the bay leaves, ginger and turmeric, stir and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pot with a lid and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and place onto a board. Once cooled enough to handle, shred the chicken and add it back to the soup.
- Stir the spinach into the soup until it wilts and then add the cooked pasta. Serve with crackers, rolls or croutons. Alternately, you can leave the pasta out of the pot of soup and add it to each bowl so that the pasta doesn’t soak up all the broth in the leftover soup.
For a low carb version of this soup, cut down on the onions, leave out the pasta and substitute with cauliflower rice, firm tofu, or just omit the ingredient.
Weight Watchers points on Purple plan are 2 points per serving. If you omit the wine and use chicken broth and use an olive oil or avocado oil spray instead of regular oil, the points go down to zero. Meaning you can eat this soup all day long!
If you’re not using wine to make this soup, just add 1/2 cup of water or chicken stick to deglaze the pot.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: detox soup recipe, chicken detox soup, healthy recipes, soup recipes, chicken soup recipes, low fat recipes, weight watchers recipes, dinner ideas