This comforting Creamy Turkey Rice Soup can be on the table in just 30 minutes! A great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2–3 cups cooked, shredded turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked white, brown or wild rice
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the butter and olive oil to a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 7-8 minutes until softened. Add the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to the pot and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Stir in the cooked turkey, then add the flour, stirring until all the flour is mixed in to the turkey and vegetables. Cook for 1 minute and then pour in the sherry to deglaze. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon while stirring the sherry into the vegetables.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stir and bring the soup to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes until the soup has thickened and reduced slightly. Next stir in the heavy cream and cooked rice and simmer for 5 minutes longer to warm through.
- Taste the soup for seasonings and adjust if needed. Serve with fresh parsley for garnish if desired.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup recipe, leftover turkey recipes, leftover recipes, dinner ideas, dinner recipes, turkey soup, turkey and rice soup, cream of turkey soup, lunch ideas, easy recipes