This Creamy Sausage and Peppers Soup is a favorite comfort food dinner at our house! Serve this creamy sausage soup with lots of bread for dipping!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed, mixture of spicy and sweet
- 1 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound bag frozen bell peppers (or 3 large bell peppers, sliced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup pipette pasta (or other small pasta like elbows)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Add the oil to a large dutch oven or soup pot. Add the sausage to the pot and cook while breaking up with a spoon over medium heat. When the sausage has been cooked through, remove the sausage to a bowl and drain all but 2 tablespoons on drippings from the pot.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and the sliced peppers to the pot, stir together and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pot and stir together with the vegetables. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes, uncovered stirring occasionally. Taste the soup for seasonings and add salt and pepper as desired. The sausage will add a lot of salt to the soup so don’t season before tasting! Add the pasta, stir and cook for 8 minutes, covered, stirring once after 4 minutes to make sure the pasta isn’t sticking.
- Uncover the soup and pour in the cream and add the parmesan cheese. Stir and cook for 5 minutes uncovered and then serve with fresh chopped parsley for garnish and more parmesan cheese if desired.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, sausage soup, italian sausage recipes, comfort food recipes, easy recipes, creamy soup recipes