These crispy, air fried or oven baked taquitos are SO much better than fried! The tortillas get super crispy and the cheesy beef and bean filling is super addicting all on its own. Serve these taquitos for appetizers or for diner!
- 12 small whole wheat or flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup refried beans
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole, sour cream and fresh salsa or pico de gallo for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If using an air fryer, the cooking temperature will also be 400 degrees.
- Make the beef filling by adding the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the beef and then drain off any drippings from the pan. Add the onion, garlic and salt and cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Stir the refried beans, chiles and cheese into the beef, turn off the heat and let the filling cool slightly.
- Place a tortilla on a cutting board and add about 3 heaping tablespoons of the beef filling in a line across the tortilla. The filling should sit slightly on the bottom half of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla over the filling, tucking as you go to make a tight roll. Place on the board seam side down and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Air Fryer Instructions:
- Preheat your air fryer (if needed) to 400 degrees. Spray the racks or bin of the air fryer with cooking spray. Add the taquitos in a single layer, seam side down, and then spray the tops with an olive oil or canola oil cooking spray.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until the tortillas are golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining taquitos if needed.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place the taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet and then spray the tops with an olive oil or canola oil spray.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until the tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
To reheat leftover taquitos, bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes, then turn the taquitos over and cook another 2-3 minutes until the filling is warmed through.
This recipe makes 12 taquitos, 2 taquitos per person for appetizers.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven / Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: taquitos, homemade taquitos, beef taquitos, bean taquitos, air fryer recipes, oven baked taquitos, game day food, tex-mex recipes, ground beef recipes