This beef stew recipe is so tender and flavorful! Don’t forget rice or noodles on the side to soak up all the delicious gravy!
- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 package (12 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3–4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the meat on all sides with a tablespoon of the salt and a half teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Add the oil to a dutch oven over medium high heat and brown the meat on all sides in batches, making sure the meat is in a single layer. Remove when browned and repeat with another batch of meat if needed.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and rosemary to the pot, stir and season with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook until onions are softened and mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot, stir and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer, then use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bottom of the pot while stirring the mushrooms and onions.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth while stirring then bring to a boil to thicken the gravy. Once thickened, add the meat and any juices back to the pot. Stir to combine and place in the oven, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and stir. Pour in the cream, stir again and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove the rosemary steams before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef stew, stew recipe, comfort food recipes, dinner recipes, dinner ideas, beef tips, braised beef, marsala wine