- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 package (12 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3–4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the meat on all sides with a tablespoon of the salt and a half teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Add the oil to a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Brown the meat on all sides in batches making sure the meat is in a single layer. Remove when browned and repeat with another batch of meat if needed.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and rosemary to the pot, stir and season with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook until onions are softened and mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and let boil for a minute, then use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bottom of the pot while stirring the mushrooms and onions.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir, cooking for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beef broth slowly while stirring then bring to a boil to thicken the gravy.
- Once thickened, add the meat and any juices back to the pot. Stir to combine and place in the oven, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and stir. Pour in the cream, stir again and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the rosemary steams before serving.