Creamy and comforting Tuna Noodle Casserole is one of our families favorite dinners! This dish brings me back to my childhood, just like mom used to make!
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 (6 ounce cans) white albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 12 ounces egg noodles, cooked according to the package directions, rinsed with cold water and drained.
- 1/2 cup crushed ritz crackers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the butter to a large skillet. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms have browned.
- Add the salt and pepper to the skillet and then sprinkle in the flour, stirring to coat the vegetables. Cook for one minute and then pour in the sherry wine and chicken broth. Use a whisk to combine the broth and sherry with the vegetables until smooth and then bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes to thicken and then pour in the cream.
- Next stir in the frozen peas and carrots along with the thyme and tuna fish, stirring to combine.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to a large bowl and then pour the tuna casserole filling over, tossing gently to combine. Pour the filling into a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to a clean skillet. Once the butter has melted, ad the crushed crackers and toss to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the crackers have browned and then remove from the heat.
- Add the crackers to the top of the tuna casserole, cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover the casserole and bake for another 5 minutes to brown the top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: casserole recipes, tuna casserole, tuna noodle casserole, diner recipes, comfort food, recipes with tuna fish