Make this Tex-Mex Crab Dip for your next party, holiday or happy hour! A creamy, cheesy warm crab dip recipe with a little bit of spice!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds removed and diced fine
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1 pound crab meat (not lump, use claw or special)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Add the olive oil to a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer and then pour in the beer.
- Reduce the beer by half, so there’s barely any liquid left in the pot and then sprinkle in the flour, stirring to combine until all the flour is absorbed. Pour in the cream, whisking to prevent any lumps and then bring to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for a few minutes until thickened, then add the cream cheese and Velveeta cheese to the sauce.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce until it’s completely melted, then fold in the crab and scallions. Season the dip with the cumin, salt, cayenne and chili powder, tasting to make sure the level of heat is right for you. If you want the dip spicier you can add a little more cayenne and/or diced jalapeño.
- Serve the dip immediately with tortilla chips and more chopped scallions and chili powder on top. You can also keep the dip warm in a slow cooker on the “warm” setting.
Leftover dip will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days. Reheat leftover dip in the microwave, stirring in between heating.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, cheese dip, warm crab dip recipe, hot crab dip recipe, hot appetizers, seafood appetizers, recipes with crab meat, dip recipes