These comforting Stuffed Peppers are a family favorite! Perfectly seasoned ground beef and rice filling mixed with diced tomatoes and sauce, topped with melted mozzarella cheese!
- 6 bell peppers with the tops cut off (*see note)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- (2) 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and leftover diced peppers to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef to the skillet with the onions and peppers and cook, breaking up while browning. Add the garlic, stir and cook 1 minute longer. Drain any drippings from the skillet.
- Add the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and Worcestershire to the skillet and stir to combine. Pour in the diced tomatoes, 1 can of the tomato sauce and cooked rice. Stir together and remove from the heat.
- Pour the remaining can of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking pan., spreading it to cover the bottom.
- Place the peppers into the pan and stuff with the beef and rice filling. Add any extra filling around the bottom of the pan.
- Drizzle the peppers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and top with the mozzarella cheese. Place the pan back in the oven, uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
When cutting the peppers, I cut just the very tops off to save most of the pepper in tact. You can also cut the remaining pepper from the tops, dice them and add them to the filling.
To Cook From Frozen: Place peppers on a baking sheet in 400 degree oven for 35 minutes until warmed through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, stuffed peppers, ground beef recipes, recipes with ground beef, comfort food recipes, easy recipes, family dinner ideas