Stuffed Cheesy Garlic Artichokes are a tradition in my family. And we don’t wait for the holidays to make them, we make them as much as we can! This easy artichoke recipe is so darn good!
- 4 medium to large artichokes
- 1 block (8 oz.) Stella Fontinella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 5–6 cloves of garlic, peeled, and finely minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Trim the stems of the artichokes.
- Holding the artichokes upside down, smash them down on a cutting board to open them up.
- Stuff the center of each artichoke with some of the garlic and cheese, dividing the ingredients between the 4 artichokes.
- Place them in a large pot, big enough to hold them all and fill half way with water.
- Add the wine and bay leaf.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top pf the artichokes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, vent the lid slightly off the pot and cook for 1 hour to 1 1/2 depending on the size of your artichokes.
- You’ll know when they’re done when a leaf pulls out easily and is tender.
- While the artichokes are cooking, heat the butter in a skillet then add the panko breadcrumbs. Toss until lightly toasted then remove from the pan.
- Sprinkle the tops of the artichokes with the breadcrumbs and serve.
*You can substitute provolone or parmesan cheese if you can find fontinella.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed artichoke, steamed artichoke, artichoke recipe, artichoke with cheese, vegetable side dish, holiday side dish, how to cook artichokes