I’m keeping the healthy dinner theme going this week with my Steamers in Beer! This recipe for steamer clams is so good, you don’t even need to dip them in butter!
- 4 lbs. littleneck clams
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 4–6 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 12 oz. beer
- 2 T. fresh basil, sliced
- Lemons for garnish
- Soak the clams in a large bowl of cold water for 15-20 minutes.
- Take them out of the water, leaving the sand behind in the bottom of the bowl.
- Scrub the outside of the clams and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and stir, cooking for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the sliced garlic, stir, and cook for a minute more.
- Next put in the clams and your beer, turn the heat up a little to medium-high and cover.
- Check after 5 minutes and remove any clams that have opened.
- Cover and let steam another 5 minutes.
- Remove the clams that have opened and place them in a large bowl.
- If any clams haven’t opened, cover for another 3-4 minutes. Throw away any clams that don’t open after the additional cooking time.
- Spoon a few ladles of the broth over the clams, then add the chopped basil.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Steam
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: recipe for steamers clams, steamers clams recipe, recipe for steamers, steamers recipe, steamed clams recipe, how to cook steamer clams, how to cook clams, littleneck clams recipe, recipe for littleneck clams