Serve this sausage queso piping hot with tortilla chips, pita chips or pretzels for dipping!
- 1/2 lb. loose Italian sausage, spicy or sweet or a combination of both
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beer
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spray a cast iron or oven proof skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and brown until no pink remains, drain the grease reserving 2 tablespoons and return back to the skillet.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet with the sausage and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened then remove the filling to a bowl.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of reserved fat from the sausage to the skillet along with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Whisk together for a minute then slowly pour in the beer while whisking.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat back down to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the skillet, while stirring until smooth.
- Add the sausage, peppers and onions back to the skillet. Stir to combine then place the skillet under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the top is browned. Keep an eye on this so that the cheese doesn’t burn!
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and more fresh peppers if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: queso recipe, sausage queso, queso with beer, appetizer recipe, jalapenos, dip recipes