This easy roast turkey recipe will make you look like a pro in the kitchen! Simply seasoned, perfectly cooked turkey that doesn’t take all day!
- 14 pound whole turkey, giblets removed
- 1 large apple cut into fourths
- 1 large onion cut into fourths
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out, pat dry with paper towels and place on a board. Stuff the cavity of the turkey with the apples, onion and thyme and then tie the legs together with kitchen twine (optional) tucking the wings underneath the breast.
- Brush the turkey all over with the melted butter then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaves into the bottom of the roasting pan. Place the turkey on a roasting rack then add to the roasting pan.
- Bake the turkey for 3 hours, basting with the chicken broth every hour. Starting at about 2 1/2 hours, check the temperature of the turkey. The turkey can be taken out of the oven between 155 and 160 degrees because the temperature will rise as it rests. If you find that the bottom of your roasting pan is getting dry you can add more chicken broth.
- Reserve drippings in the bottom of the roasting pan for making homemade gravy!
If you find that your turkey is getting too dark, cover with foil until it’s done roasting.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey recipe, roast turkey recipe, thanksgiving recipes, holiday recipes, turkey dinner, whole roasted turkey