Everyone LOVES these buttery, flaky Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls! A perfect party appetizer, serve with a variety of sauces for dipping. These sausage rolls can be made ahead of time and frozen, too!
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed according to the package directions (2 sheets to a package)
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, loose or removed from casings
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs (1 for the filling, 1 for an egg wash)
- Flour, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the sausage, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, garlic powder and 1 of the eggs (beaten) to a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Dust a board lightly with flour and then roll out one of the puff pastry sheets to approximately a 13″ x 11″ rectangle. Cut the puff pastry into three strips, lengthwise. (Refer to the post for pictures.)
- Divide the sausage filling in half and then divide the half into thirds. Place one third of the sausage filling onto each strip of puff pastry, forming a log down the center of each strip of dough.
- Use the remaining egg to make an egg wash (beat the egg in a small bowl with a splash of water) and brush along one side of each strip of dough.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise over the sausage filling, sealing at the seam. Tuck the ends under the roll and then place on a parchment lined baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with the remaining rolls and then repeat this process for the second sheet of puff pastry. (You’ll need to use 2 baking sheets to make sure the rolls don’t stick together as the bake.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through if one side is getting too brown, and then remove from the oven.
- Let the sausage rolls cool for at least 5 minutes (10 is better, they will still be hot!). Slice into bite sized pieces and serve with your choice of dipping sauce.
To Freeze: You can make these sausage rolls completely ahead of time, let them cool, cut them and freeze. When ready to bake, place frozen sausage rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until warmed through.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, sausage rolls, puff pastry recipes, party food, game day food, italian sausage recipes, recipes with sausage, finger food