Sausage and Peppers Baked Ziti in the comfort food dinner that you’re looking for! All the flavors you love in sausage and peppers baked with pasta and cheese!
- 1 pound ziti, rigatoni or penne
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups diced bell peppers, any color
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (1/2 cup in filling, 1/4 cup on top)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (one in filling 2 on top
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, then add the sausage and cook while breaking up into small pieces.
- Once the sausage has cooked through, add the peppers, onion and garlic, stirring to combine with the sausage. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened and then season with salt, dried parsley, dried oregano, dried basil and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Place the cooked ziti into the pot that you cooked it in and then add the sausage, peppers and onion mixture. Add 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Pour in the marinara sauce and stir to combine.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and then pour the ziti mixture into the dish, spreading out into an even layer. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the cheese has melted and the baked ziti is warmed through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, pasta dishes, baked ziti recipe, comfort food meals, make ahead recipes, game day food, casserole recipes, recipes with sausage